Scoil Mhuire Tour
Sunday 13th – Thursday 17th April 2014
Day 1 – Sunday 13th April 2014
- The group leaves Dublin Airport Terminal 2 at at 07.00am arriving into Frankfurt Airport – Terminal 2 at 10.05am.
- Transfer to the university city of Heidelberg. Journey time is approximately 1 ½ hours.
There will be a guided walking tour of the old town at 1.00pm. The tour lasts 1 hour with the opportunity to discover the beauty of this romantic town with its picturesque lanes. Sights to watch out for include the Church of the Holy Ghost, the Oldest University of Germany, the Old Bridge etc.
- Following this, take the funicular to Heidelberg Castle, one of Germany’s most important cultural monuments, perched over the city. A visit to its ruins is a must. The castle is home to reputedly the largest wine barrel in the world, The Heidelberg Tun, built in 1751 by Prince Elector Karl Theodor to house the wine paid as taxes by the wine growers of the Palatine. It stands seven metres high, is eight and a half metres wide, holds 220,000 litres (58,124 gallons) of wine, and has a dance floor built on top of it! Enjoy the spectacular views from the Castle over the Neckar Valley.
- At 15.30 continue to Strasbourg. Journey time is approximately 2 hours.
- Upon arrival enjoy a 70 minute relaxing cruise down the Fluvial taking in all the historic sights of Strasbourg. The tour will depart from the Palais Rohan.
- Evening activities